Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Dinner

"Eagle Eye"
1/160 sec at f13.0 at ISO 400

Sometimes you just get lucky. I was on my home from church and I saw a blue heron all alone on a frozen lake; so I put the car in neutral and coasted into position, rolled down the passenger window, reached behind me to retrieve my ever-present camera, and pulled the camera up to my face only to have the viewfinder read "No (Media) Card." Done posing, the big bird flew away. Grrrrrrr!

A half mile further down the road, I go by another frozen body of water and spot something moving fairly close to the bank. I continue past it a few hundred feet and find a place to turn around. I get out of the car and open the back door to get into my bag for a memory card. I'm certainly not going to do that twice in five minutes time. I get back behind the wheel, roll the passenger window down again and creep back to the spot. I couldn't tell what it was until I was right on top of it, the immature eagle stared at me, once again I raised the camera to my eye, I clicked the shutter, looked at the preview screen and it says "Low Battery Power" and shuts down. What????? I look at the eagle, he couldn't care less, he's still ripping and tearing away at dinner. I can't reach a spare battery without opening the car door, so I take out the battery and try warming it up in my hand and shove it back in the camera body. I look up and eagles asks, "Can't I eat in peace?" and in disgust takes off. I rattle off one more shot and the battery goes dead again. So, the above shot, is the first of only two frames taken. Timing is everything!

3 comments:

  1. Nice job! Way to spot those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I need to keep my camera with me at all times too. I've missed a few good one lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shot! You made persistance pay off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment!