Sunday, February 8, 2009

Clap for the Wolfman

1/125 sec at f/4.5 ISO 400

1/250 sec at f/5.6 ISO 400

1/160 sec at f/18.0 ISO 100

From 2009-02-08 Bombay Hook Wolf


1/160 sec f/4.3 ISO 400

My wife and I made an impromptu visit to Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge this evening just before dusk. Boy! ... am I glad we did! What a great night for photos. The setting sun was brilliant, the bad moon was a rising, the snow geese were coming for dinner and I got up close and personal with a red fox.

My personal highlight was the encounter with the fox. Jan spotted him first and tried her best to point him out to me, but I couldn't see him for the life of me. When I did finally recognize him, he headed down the shoulder of the road away from us, so I put the car in reverse and backed up to get in front of him. He was enjoying a light night snack when I found him along side the water. I took a chance and got out of the car; he looked up, but he didn't move. I took a couple more steps toward him and he wandered a few yards to the side, but I asked to him come back, because I hadn't got my shot yet and he obliged. I was maybe 10-12 feet from him. But it was getting dark and, although I went to manual focus, I couldn't get the camera to focus properly on him. He patiently waited for me to get my act together and I was able to get a few great shots before he wanted to be on his way home for the night. Thank you, Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment!