Saturday, February 7, 2009

'Round and 'Round You Go

"Elusive"
1/50 sec at f/4.5 ISO 400

My workplace is located off a busy, divided highway. My wife and I were leaving last night, and heading north, when she spotted a hawk sitting atop a small tree in the median. So, at the next available crossing, we paused momentarily to get the camera ready and then U-turned southbound. Traffic was uncharacteristically sparse at that moment, so I slowed down and went to the left shoulder to get my shot at him. I no sooner pulled up in to what I thought would be a great spot when Mr. Hawk took off. Doh!

It was nearing dusk, but I wanted another shot at him. I am going southbound and at the next opportunity I do a U-turn and head northward again hoping to find him still somewhere in the median. Sure enough, there he is a few hundred yards down from the first place we spotted him. This time I would shoot from the right shoulder. I got into position, rattled off a few frames, however now his back is to me. As I creep ahead for a better angle, doesn't he take flight again. I am not done yet!

I now drive up to that same place I made my first turn around and head south again. I find him. I "try" to shoot, he flies. Doh! He's not getting the best of me! I U-turn one more time. I find him. I shoot, he flies! Okay, by this time I should realize he's not going to cooperate, but I have one more U-turn left in me. I find him. I shoot, he flies.

I give up. I'm dizzy. I've been out-smarted by an accipiter cooperii! Score one for the hawk. I go home to review my pics. Not one usable one out of 72 frames taken. What you see above is the best of the worst. You win some, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment!